THE PET WHISPERER

    LOVING, PERSONALZED PET CARE

HELPFUL TO KNOW

                                     5 TOXIC FOODS TO KEEP AWAY FROM YOUR PETS
It  can be tempting to feed your pets people food. They seem to love it! And seeing them beg for it can be kind of cute. And sometimes kind of annoying. But there are definitely some foods that you shouldn’t feed your pets.
    
#1: Chocolate

    This one is pretty commonly known. When consumed by dogs, chocolate can cause toxicity, with symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. Dark chocolate is far more dangerous than milk chocolate.
 
  #2. Xylitol

    This artificial sweetener is found in a lot of sugar free gum and baked goods. Xylitol is fine for people, but it can cause liver damage in pets and may cause a life-threatening drop in blood sugar. A 10 pound dog only needs to consume one piece of sugar free gum for a potentially toxic dose. Vomiting and loss of coordination are symptoms, and can appear within 15 minutes of consumption.
    
#3. Grapes

    Grapes and raisins cause kidney failure in dogs and some other small mammals. Symptoms include vomiting, increased urination, and excessive thirst. Keep grapes way from dogs at all times.
    
#4. Onions and garlic

    In large amounts, these vegetables can cause anemia in dogs. Lethargy and reduced appetite are two symptoms of toxic poisoning. The sooner it’s diagnosed, the better, so if you suspect your pooch has eaten onions or garlic (which, I mean, just smell the breath) get them treated ASAP.

#5. Alcohol

    This is a no brainer. Even a little bit of alcohol can be life threatening, so if your pet has raided your liquor cabinet and is drunk dialing your friends, I’d encourage you to get her into the vet before any further social faux pas are committed.